The Correlation between Knowledge, Attitudes toward Occupational Safety and Health and Near Miss

Febrina Dewi Safitri, Noeroel Widajati

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction: The research result conducted by Frank Bird concluded that every Occupational Safety and Health is preceded by a near-injury occurrence or near miss. Near miss is an incidence that potentially causes loss, which is triggered by direct factors, namely unsafe action, unsafe conditions, and basic factors, such as workers and works. Workers as a basic factor comprise their knowledge and attitudes towards Occupational Safety and Health-related to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Methods: This research is descriptive research that aims to identify the strength of the relationship between the knowledge and attitudes toward Occupational Safety and Health-related to PPE toward near miss in the Outfitting Unit at PT Dok dan Perkapalan Surabaya by applying the cross-sectional design. The data was obtained by questionnaire and interview. In addition, the questionnaire was distributed to all 30 workers in the Outfitting Unit at PT Dok dan Perkapalan Surabaya. Results: Indicated that the majority of the workers experienced a low-level of near-miss (90%), while the other 10% experienced a moderate-level of near-miss. The correlation coefficient value as many as 0.149 denoted that there was a weak correlation between the workers' knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health and a near miss. Similarly, the relationship between the workers' attitudes toward occupational safety and health regarding PPE and near-miss is also a weak relationship with the correlation coefficient value of 0.236. Conclusion: It is affirmed that effective communication between units and the provision of PPE are the factors that cause near-miss incidence in the company.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)328-335
Number of pages8
JournalIndonesian Journal of Occupational Safety and Health
Volume8
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 27 Dec 2019

Keywords

  • attitude
  • knowledge
  • near miss

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The Correlation between Knowledge, Attitudes toward Occupational Safety and Health and Near Miss'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this