Deteksi Cemaran Escherichia coli dengan metode Most Probable Number (MPN) pada Daging Ayam di Pasar Kota Surabaya

Translated title of the contribution: Detection of Escherichia coli Contamination using Most Probable Number (MPN) methods in Chicken Meats in Market of Surabaya

Dhandy Koesoemo Wardhana, Devi Ayu Safitri, Suwaibatul Annisa, Mustofa Helmi Effendi, Nenny Harijani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Foodborne diseases are diseases transmitted through contaminated food and are one of the main public health problems. The bacteria that usually contaminates chicken meat is Escherichia coli. E. coli contamination in chicken meat can affect consumer health. Chicken meat processing and market conditions affect the level of bacteria contamination. This study aims to measure the contamination of E. coli bacteria in chicken meat in Surabaya's markets. The method which used to count and estimate the number of E. coli bacteria found in chicken meat in this study was Most Probable Number (MPN). The results showed 20 samples (33.3%) from 60 samples gave negative results. This indicated that only 20 samples of chicken meat were safe for consumption because the MPN value is <1 × 101 CFU/g while the remaining 40 samples (66.7%) were not safe for consumption because the MPN value is> 1 × 101 CFU/g. The standard of SNI 3924: 2009 concerning the minimum requirement for the amount of E. coli contamination in chicken meat is 1×101 CFU/g so that the contamination of E. coli which found in chicken meat in Surabaya was high.

Translated title of the contributionDetection of Escherichia coli Contamination using Most Probable Number (MPN) methods in Chicken Meats in Market of Surabaya
Original languageIndonesian
Pages (from-to)118-124
Number of pages7
JournalJurnal Medik Veteriner
Volume4
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Apr 2021

Keywords

  • Escherichia coli
  • MPN
  • chicken meat
  • food borne disease
  • market

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Detection of Escherichia coli Contamination using Most Probable Number (MPN) methods in Chicken Meats in Market of Surabaya'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this