ASB-16 was superior to SDS 0.5% as a decellularization agent: An in vitro study using bovine pericardium

Heroe Soebroto, Ferdiansyah Mahyudin, Gondo Mastutik, Abu Rizal Dwikatmono Johan, Arisvia Sukma Hariftyani, Chabib Fachry Albab

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Bovine pericardium offers regenerative medicine potential in applications like heart tissue repair and implantation materials. To utilize it safely, a decellularization process is crucial to remove cells and antigens. This study aims to compare the characteristics of bovine pericardium decellularized using SDS 0.5% and ASB-16 by evaluating certain parameters. Decellularization was performed with SDS 0.5% and ASB-16. Histological analysis, observation using SEM, immunohistochemistry, and MTT assay were performed. P < 0.05 was considered significant. There were no nuclei in the bovine pericardium group treated with both methods. A picture of collagen was obtained in SDS 0.5%. In the ASB-16, collagen was mild (40%), moderate (40%), and dense (20%). In the group decellularized with ASB-16, GAG was mild (20%), while the other 80% did not show GAG. The mean pore size of the bovine pericardium group decellularized with SDS was 0.5% smaller than that of ASB-16. The differences in type I and type III collagen intensity were not significant. ASB-16 produced significantly more living cells than SDS 0.5%. ASB-16 has better biomechanical characteristics, namely tensile strength (9.0409 N/m2 ), tensile strain (1.244 m), and young`s modulus (1.56 N/m2 ). ASB is superior to SDS 0.5% as a decellularization agent in bovine pericardium in terms of pore size, cytotoxicity, tensile strength, tensile strain, and Young's modulus. The bovine pericardium scaffold decellularized with ASB-16 has a larger pore size, less toxic properties, greater strength or tension, greater tensile strength, and less stiff properties than SDS 0.5%.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1028-1041
Number of pages14
JournalJournal of Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry Research
Volume6
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Aug 2024

Keywords

  • ASB-16
  • bovine pericardium
  • decellularization
  • SDS 0.5%

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'ASB-16 was superior to SDS 0.5% as a decellularization agent: An in vitro study using bovine pericardium'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this