Blood cockle (Anadara granosa) is invertebrates containing high protein and zinc. Malnutrition is characterized by the decreasing number of T lymphocytes (CD4+) and serum zinc level as well as organ dysfunction such as the atrophy of thymus. This study aims to analyze the blood cockle supplementation in increasing the number of T lymphocytes (CD4+), serum zinc level and improving the thymus of malnourished rats (Rattus norvegicus). Experimental study with Randomized Post Test Only Control Group Design was conducted to 30 female Spraque Dawley rats. Samples were selected using simple random sampling, divided into five treatment groups: (1) normal control (KN), (2) and (3) groups of malnourished rats supplemented with non protein food as positive control K.kg (+), and 20% casein as negative control K.kg (-), and (4), (5) groups of malnourished rats supplemented with 10% casein combined with 10% blood cockle flour (P.kg1), and (P.kg2) 20% blood cockle flour. The treatment was conducted for 45 days. Malnutrition is characterized by the albumin level <3.0 g/dL. At the end of the treatment, the rats were sacrificed for blood and tissue collection, followed by the examination on the number of T lymphocytes (CD4+) and serum zinc. The examination on the histology of thymus was conducted with Hematoxilin-Eosin staining (HE). Data were analyzed using Anova and Duncan’s test. The results that blood cockle supplementation is proved to increase the number of T lymphocytes (CD4+) and serum zinc level to normal, and to improve the cortex and medulla structure of malnourished rats significantly (p <0,05).
|Number of pages||9|
|Journal||International Journal of PharmTech Research|
|Publication status||Published - 2015|
- Blood Cockle (Anadara granosa)
- Malnourished rats
- Serum zinc
- T lymphocytes (CD4)